Before getting into the universities that offer “linguistics” in Nigeria, it also will be good to know what Linguistics is really about.
Linguistics is the scientific study of language in all its forms. In addition, it includes the study of phonetics, grammar and syntax.
Linguistics is a broad subject. Linguistics relating to the study of language is divided into sub-fields and they are;
- SEMANTICS: This is the study of meaning of words.
- MORPHOLOGY: This is the study of word formation.
- PHONETICS: This is the study of speech sounds in their physical aspects.
- PHONOLOGY: This is the study of speech sounds in their cognitive aspects.
- SYNTAX: This is the study of formation of sentences and
- PRAGMATICS: This is the study of language use.
Apart from the direct study of language, linguistics also contain specific branches such as:
- HISTORICAL LINGUISTICS: This is the study of the historical development of languages and speech forms.
- GEOGRAPHICAL LINGUISTICS: Also known as language geography, this is the study of language pertaining to its regional development.
- ETHNOLINGUISTICS: This is the branch of linguistics that is majorly concerned with the relationship language has with culture and religion.
- PSYCHOLINGUISTICS: This is the study of language pertaining to the relationship between language and psychological processes, including language acquisition.
- SOCIOLINGUISTICS: This studies the relationship language has to social factors such as the differences in class, regional and occupational dialects as well as differences in gender.
- COMPARATIVE AND CONTRASTIVE LINGUISTICS: This is the study of the differences and similarities of languages particularly comparing related languages with the view to reconstruct forms in their lost parent language.
Now, to the next phase of this article;
Universities That Offer Linguistics In Nigeria
If you are an aspirant looking for the full list of Nigerian Universities that offer linguistics, then you are in no doubt at the right place.
Day in, day out, aspiring students, jambites and parents search for the best universities to enroll for their dream course. In the case of this article, our dream course is “linguistics”.
A list of all the universities offering linguistics in Nigeria along with their locations and when they were founded have been carefully compiled below.
1. University Of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
UNN one of the most popular Nigerian universities, it is a Federal University located at the Innovation Centre in Nsukka, Enugu State. The university was founded in founded in 1960 and notwithstanding, it remains among the top universities that offer linguistics in Nigeria.
2. Afe Babalola University (ABUAD)
ABUAD is a private university owned by Sir Afe Babalola and founded in 2009. It is one of the best universities offering linguistics in Nigeria. The university’s main campus is located in Ado-Ekiti.
3. University Of Ibadan (UI)
The university of Ibadan is a federal university that was founded in 1948 and located in the ancestral city of Ibadan. The school has the sole privilege of being Nigeria’s oldest University and is also arguably the best university in nigeria so far that offers linguistics. The main campus is located in ibadan alongside other smaller satellite campuses.
4. University Of Maidiguri (UNIMAID)
This is a Federal University located at Bama Road in Borno State. The institution was founded in the year 1975. UNIMAID is still regarded as one of the best universities offering linguistics in Northern Nigeria despite the state’s crisis.
5. University Of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
The University of Ilorin is a Federal University located in Ilorin, kwara state. It was established in 1975.
6. Igbenedion University, Okada (IUOKADA)
IUOKADA is a privately funded University whose main campus is located in Okada, Edo State. Gabriel Osawuru Igbenedion is the founder of the school and he founded it in 1999.
7. Delta State University (DELSU)
Delta State university was established in 1992. The school has its main campus located at the town of Abraka and the university is also one of the one best state universities in Nigeria. There are also various satellite campus in the cities of oleh, asaba and warri.
8. Imo State University (IMSU)
IMSU is nother state university that is one of the more popular universities in the South-Eastern region. Imo State University was established in 1981 and it is located in Owerri, the capital city of Imo State.
9. Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK)
Notably named after one of our Independence heroes, the great Nnamdi Azikiwe, UNIZIK is one of a few in Nigeria that is instantly distinguishable.
It is a Federal University. The University prides itself in being located in the city of Awka in Anambra State. It was established in 1992 and is one of the very first universities to offer linguistics in Nigeria.
10. University Of Uyo (UNIUYO)
UNIUYO is Located in the capital city of Akwa Ibom (Uyo), this beautiful institution was established in 1991. To this day, remains one of the best Nigerian universities.
11. Ekiti State University (EKSU)
The last one on this list. The Ekiti State University was established in 1982, making it one of Nigeria’s oldest universities and it is located at Iworoko Road in the State of ekiti.
Admission Requirements For Studying Linguistics In Nigeria
Now that the aspect of the universities have been touched, there are necessary requirements an aspirant must have before being able to study Linguistics at any one of these universities.
The most important credential is 5 credit passes in a WAEC Examination obviously. Mathematics, English Language (obviously), as well as three other art related subjects are necessary.
Finally, for those who think that there are no job opportunities after studying Linguistics in Nigeria, here are a few job opportunities;
- Editorial assistant
- English as a foreign language teacher
- Web assistant
- Art director
- Magazine journalist
- Newspaper journalist
- Publishing copy-editor
- Art administrator, etc.
There they are! Everything there is to know about linguistics, its sub-divisons, its specific areas, the universities in Nigeria that offer them, and the careers that aspirants can pursue after having a degree in Linguistics.
This post was last modified on September 9, 2019 6:35 pm